AWIS-PHL awards two travel grants each year, in the amount of $500.00 each, to support the attendance of female graduate students at national or international meetings. The conference or meeting must be relevant to the student’s field of study and provide the student with an opportunity to speak or present her own research in order to qualify.
Past Award Recipients
Robert E. Davies Student Travel Award
Adelaide M. Delluva Student Travel Award
University of PA Women’s Club Student Travel Award (this award is no longer being offered)
The Robert E. Davies Student Travel Award was established in 1993 by AWIS-PHL in memory of Professor Robert E. Davies, whose life was characterized by untiring efforts toward the entry and advancement of women in science.
The Adelaide M. Delluva Student Travel Award was established by AWIS-PHL in 2008 with a bequest from Dr. Delluva who passed away in 2006. She was a beloved member of AWIS and AWIS-PHL and a loyal and committed supporter of our travel award program.
Eligible candidates are female graduate students enrolled in an accredited graduate program at a school in any the following counties:
- in southeastern Pennsylvania: Philadelphia, Bucks, Delaware, Chester, Montgomery, Berks, Lehigh, Northhampton, Lancaster
- in Delaware: New Castle
- in southern New Jersey: Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland, Cape May, Atlantic, Ocean
Travel Award Policy:
- The application deadline for all awards is November 1, for conferences held any time during the following calendar year – NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Submissions: TravelAwardSubmit@awisphl.org
- Questions: TravelAwardSubmit@awisphl.org or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application Instructions
- AWIS-PHL is especially interested in women who will be attending a conference that will provide important exposure for the student and her work and who will be presenting in a significant forum for the first time.
- The award is to be applied to the costs of transportation, registration, housing, and meals. Should the actual costs exceed $500.00, those additional costs must be covered by other resources available to the student.
- The money will be forwarded to the recipient upon receipt of proof of meeting registration.
- The recipient will provide AWIS-PHL with a published or final abstract of the work presented at the meeting and an accounting for $500.00 of meeting-related expenses within 60 days of the conclusion of the meeting or she will be liable for repayment of the amount in full to AWIS-PHL.
- AWIS-PHL must be notified immediately if there is a change in plans by an applicant during the review period, or by a winner prior to attending the specified meeting.
- AWIS-PHL reserves the right to review, reconsider, and/or withdraw an application or rescind an award if the applicant or recipient changes the meeting she plans to attend or fails to present her work at the meeting.
- Previous winners are not eligible, but previous applicants who did not receive an award are encouraged to reapply.
- AWIS-PHL is not obligated to confer an award if, in the opinion of the evaluation committee, there are no suitable applicants.
Please Note: Only one submission per applicant per granting period is necessary. Applicants will be considered for all awards for which they meet the criteria.