The Association for Women in Science is a national organization dedicated to helping women in science achieve their career objectives. It is the premiere leadership organization advocating the interests of women in science and technology. About AWIS.
AWIS-PHL, the Philadelphia Chapter of AWIS, is governed by an Executive Board elected by the members of the chapter, and operates under bylaws approved by National AWIS. Visit our History page to learn more about the founding and focus of our chapter.
Why Join AWIS?
- To improve your connections within the scientific community
- To support the national mission of education and advocacy
- To participate in programs promoting science education and awareness among girls and women
- To learn about alternate careers for scientists
- To receive and share information on career options and employment opportunities
- To attend social and networking events and programs on topics in science, professional development, and women’s health
Members can participate in all chapter activities, vote in local and national AWIS elections, hold governing positions in the chapter, and serve on national committees, task forces, and the AWIS Governing Board.
Members also have access to these exclusive benefits:
- AWIS STEMiNARs©, the popular online learning series
- A subscription to AWIS Magazine which is published 4 times a year (electronic format available)
- The AWIS Insider, a digital newsletter focused on STEM related topics in the areas of health, education, innovation, research, career opportunities, and member spotlights
- The Washington Wire, published digitally on the third Tuesday of each month, which features AWIS news and STEM-related information with broader appeal to a wider audience in communities across the country.
- Access to the AWIS membership directory to aid you in making connections
- AWIS LinkedIn Members Only group
- A printable membership certificate in wallet or letter size
A testimonial from a member of AWIS-PHL:
“My career has taken me from the lab bench to the board room and at each step I have the knowledge that my AWIS colleagues and friends are there for me. This is invaluable, to have professional women in science in your corner.”
AWIS offers a variety of member levels as detailed on https://www.awis.org/join/. You MUST join National AWIS to be a member of a chapter.
- National dues vary with the level of membership
- Chapter dues: $10 for all National membership levels — except FREE for students and postdocs at any membership level!
NOTE FOR STUDENTS AND POSTDOCS WHO CHOOSE TO JOIN OR RENEW VIA AWIS NATIONAL: If you select AWIS-PHL as your chapter when joining or renewing via the National website, you will be charged the $10 chapter dues. While we would welcome your financial support of AWIS-PHL, it is not required. To avoid paying chapter dues, don’t select a chapter when joining or renewing, but make sure to complete the AWIS-PHL Student and Postdoc Chapter Information Form (see link below). This will assure that you are included on our mailing list. We will alert National to your chapter affiliation. If you are charged chapter dues when joining or renewing via the AWIS National website and wish a refund, please advise email@example.com.
There is no longer a student membership category for AWIS National or AWIS-PHL. Students are invited to join AWIS/AWIS-PHL at the Junior level (or above). Students who don’t wish to join AWIS National may sign up for the AWIS-PHL mailing list using the Student and Postdoc Chapter Information Form (students ONLY, please). For all others, remember that you MUST join National AWIS to become a member of a chapter.
(Existing members: These forms will only update your contact information at the local level. You should also update your record with AWIS National.)
Attention Drexel Students:
Drexel University is an Institutional Partner of AWIS. A benefit of the Drexel-AWIS partnership is that any undergraduate or graduate student at Drexel may sign up for a complimentary membership in AWIS National (known as a Collegiate Representative membership) by following the process below. Please also fill out the AWIS-PHL student information form (see link below) so we can get you on the chapter mailing list right away.
Click here to become a Collegiate Representative member of AWIS. You MUST use this link. The “Join” information on the AWIS National web site will not take you to the CR sign-up section. However, if you wish to join AWIS as a regular paying member, follow the instructions above to join AWIS/AWIS-PHL at the Junior Level or Above.
Once you have created a user name and entered the requested information, accept and then continue to complete the membership page. Under institution, select Drexel University and then indicate if you are a graduate or undergraduate student a bit farther down on the page. If given the opportunity (this feature may not be available at this time) select AWIS-PHL (Philadelphia Chapter) as your local chapter affiliation.